1) It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: After decades, it remains the essential animated Halloween special, and it keeps its charm each time I see it. It still bothers me, though, that actual adults are giving out rocks to any little kid:
2) Halloween is Grinch Night: The great Fuzzy Memories YT channel posted a tape of a showing with original commercials, so you can relive our Season 5 look at the special (and the controversy!) and watch the original:
3) Hammer House of Horror: Decades has a Weekend Binge of the 1980 anthology series that, as we all remember, put Fred Williamson in a different macabre situation each week.
4) Killing at Hell's Gate: 40 years ago tonight, CBS aired this TV movie starring Bob urich, Deborah Raffin, Joel Higgins, and Lee Purcell. Urich's face at the end of this clip sells it for me:
5) Kojak: If we can step away from the Halloween theme for an entry, Get TV is now running the 1970s cop show.
Hey, wait. Kojak likes...lollipops, which many will give out for trick-or-treating tonight! There we go!
6) Dan Rather: One of the most notable Halloween birthdays is the 90-year-old newsman, someone we discussed a bit in our 60 Minutes episode.
Now more than ever, we need...Courage.
7) Almond Joys and Mounds: What's a CBS Special Presentation without incessant plugs for these candies (ones I didn't even like despite wanting to after watching all the ads)?
8) McDonald's Gift Certificates: I always thought this was an underrated Halloween handout. Maybe you'd get a small ice cream cone or something relatively inconsequential, but the point was, it gave your folks an excuse to go to McDonald's.
9) R.I.P.: Val Bisoglio: Obituaries focused on his role as the dad in Saturday Night Fever, but I remember him primarily as Danny on Quincy.
10) R.I.P. Joanna Cameron: Always and forever the real Isis!