Sunday, July 31, 2022
Top Ten #188: Special "There goes July" edition!
Friday, July 29, 2022
This Day in TV History: The Circle Family (1982, unsold pilot) airs on NBC
Thursday, July 28, 2022
Show Notes and Video Playlist: Bonus Episode--Fame Game 10
Fame Game 10
Will Mike's Fame Game hot streak continue, or will it all fall part? Plus, what do "Slylock Fox," the stone age, produce, and bowling balls all have in common? They appear in this episode!
#podcast #tv #retrotv #seventies #eighties #games #famegame
Wednesday, July 27, 2022
Tuesday, July 26, 2022
YouTube Spotlight: Access Code (1984)
Government agents attempt to uncover a private organization that has gained control of nuclear weapons for the purpose of world domination. A ragged patchwork of disconnected scenes meant to test the virtue of patience. 90m/C VHS . Martin Landau, Michael Ansara, MacDonald Carey; D: Mark Sobel.
Monday, July 25, 2022
Power Rankings: Guest stars in "Cop of the Year"
Sunday, July 24, 2022
Top Ten #187: Special "next-to-last Sunday in July!" Edition
Thursday, July 21, 2022
Show Notes and Video Playlist: Episode 10-11: McMillan and Wife
Episode 10-11: McMillan and Wife
This week, we focus on another spoke of the NBC Mystery Wheel with McMillan and Wife, starring Rock Hudson, Susan Saint James, and most importantly John Schuck! In "Cop of the Year," Schuck's Sergeant Enright finds himself accused of murdering his ex-wife. He and Mac (with a little help from the great Jon Astin) work to clear his name and find the real killer.
#podcast #tv #retrotv #seventies #rockhudson #susansaintjames #johnschuck #mcmillanandwife #mystery
Wednesday, July 20, 2022
Tuesday, July 19, 2022
Power Rankings: Kolchak's (missing) monsters
Sunday, July 17, 2022
Top Ten #186
1) Kolchak the Night Stalker: Our podcast subject this week holds up better than I might have expected, but who cares what I say? It's a beloved cult show that has a big following nearly 50 years later.
2) Darren McGavin: One of those performers who gets the prestigious "would watch him in anything" tag--even in a beer commercial!
3) David Hasselhoff: Happy 70th birthday to the Hoff! Don't we all want him to head out on the beach just one more time with the red tr--nah, let's watch a Knight Rider clip instead.
4) National Tattoo Day: Celebrate!
5) The Munsters: A trailer for the upcoming Rob Zombie take on the series debuted this week:
6) Emmy nominations: Congratulations to Working Stiffs star Michael Keaton (never recognized for that role) for getting a nod for Dopesick.
7) Elmer Fudd: If you consider Egghead the first version of the Fudd character, then Elmer's first appearance was in a Tex Avery cartoon, Egghead Rides Again, released on this date 85 years ago. And, hey, I feel like sharing an Elmer moment today, so let's say that it IS Elmer's birthday!
8) The Waltons, "The Threshold": MeTV ran a story saying Earl Hamner "wrote this episode to combat the rise of reality TV". Now, this episode debuted in 1981, so this is more Real People than Real Housewives.
9) Cozi Condensed Bold: The Cozi website's front page was revamped to spotlight a 3rd Rock from the Sun promotion, but scroll down to the bottom to see that Cozi Condensed Bold starring Michael Landon still remains!
10) R.I.P. Pat John:
Saturday, July 16, 2022
Friday, July 15, 2022
How TV Guide saw Kolchak at the beginning
Thursday, July 14, 2022
Show Notes and Video Playlist: Episode 10-10: Kolchak
*Welcome to the show notes for this week's podcast episode! Click below to check out our video playlist featuring commercials, promos, and werewolves!
And remember, you can always visit our official YouTube channel for all of our podcasts and episode-specific playlists for each one!
*Thanks again to friend of the show John Holm for suggesting we take a look at Kolchak!
*The Outsider with Darren McGavin aired on NBC in the 1968-69 season. The Roy Huggins series starred McGavin as an L.A. private eye. As this piece explains, the show received significant criticism for its violent content, to the point of reshaping episodes to remove gunplay and other material.
*The Night Stalker premiered January 11, 1972. Follow-up The Night Strangler debuted January 16, 1973. The series began with "The Ripper" on September 13, 1974.
*Kolchak aired a mere 20 episodes in the 1974-75 season, Friday nights on ABC--first at 10:00, then at 8:00.
*One of the most praised books about the series is the (sadly out of print and not in digital form) is Night Stalking by Mark Dawidziak,.
*The New York Times' former TV critic, John J. O'Connor, does appear to have liked some TV series despite evidence to the contrary.
*Our Forgotten Sitcoms episode with Dick Gautier in When Things Were Rotten is right here.
*Credit to Gil Melle for composing the series' theme song.
Episode 10-10: Kolchak: The Night Stalker
In past episodes, we've encountered vampires, space vampires, Frankensteins, and space mummies, but this time, we sink our teeth into a show featuring another monster! In the cult classic "Kolchak: The Night Stalker," intrepid reporter Karl Kochak finds himself stuck on a singles cruise with Dick Gautier, Nita Talbot, and a werewolf! Will anyone believe him? Will anyone stop the man-beast? Will any of the singles pair up?
#podcast #tv #retrotv #seventies #kolchakthenightstalker #werewolf #werewolves #darrenmcgavin
Wednesday, July 13, 2022
Tuesday, July 12, 2022
Inside the Guide: Two ads from 8/26/77
Monday, July 11, 2022
Inside the Guide: More from 8/27/77
Sunday, July 10, 2022
Top Ten #185
1) The year 1977: Our TV Guide game bonus episode this week took us back to the year 1977. Some notable series that premiered just weeks after the listings we examined. Click the title to get to our episode covering it:
Soap, Lou Grant, CHiPs, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The Amazing Spider-Man.
Well, we haven't done that last one yet, but again I plead with Disney Plus to add it!
Note the CHiPs episode is the second of two we have done; the first one we did is here!
2) Ethel Merman: Yes, that's right! After a too-long absence, her performance at Evening at the Pops merits a return to the top ten!
Of course, we're not playing that. We're playing THIS:
3) Robert Pine: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the legend, the man whom the Genius Award is named after, the former Gertraer, Robert Pine!
5) Charles Dickens: We are nothing here at BOTNS if not literary. Hey, I wrote about TWO Bob Hope books and TWO Garry Shandling books this season! That Dickens guy (the subject of Dickens of London, which we discussed this week on the pod) wrote some wild stuff, too, let me tell ya.
8) Henry Winkler and Ted Danson: On The Ringer's The Town podcast this week, Matthew Belloni and Lacy Rose listed their picks for the nicest people in Hollywood, and they disqualified these two for being, well, old (I think), but Belloni gave Winkler and Danson credit for being acclaimed as two of the nicest guys around.
9) Pina Colada Day:
10) R.I.P.: Larry Storch, Jimmy Caan, Tony Sirico:
Saturday, July 9, 2022
YouTube Spotlight: Fistful of Dollars
In that 1977 TV Guide, critic Judith Crist mentions the ABC broadcast of the movie and says it's on its third run. She calls it "the 1964 Italian-German-Spanish rip-off of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo. it introduced an obviously waiting world (the film earned millions) to the immutable squint of Clint Eastwood and the flavor of the sadomasochistic blood-red sauce that soaked this spahgetti-spatzle-paella Western. Enough said,"
Friday, July 8, 2022
TV Guide Bonus Game 8/26/77: The Listings!
Thursday, July 7, 2022
Show Notes and Video Playlist: Bonus Episode--TV Guide Game (August 27, 1977)
TV Guide Game: August, 1977
Our Facebook Group voted on a year to cover in our long-running TV Guide Game feature. They ended up in a two-way tie, so this week, we return to the BOTNS Vaults and pull out a TV Guide from 1977. Disney, the Hardy Boys, Ethel Merman, a BOTNS theoretical favorite, and more vie for Mike's viewership. Can Rick guess what he would watch, and if he does, will he celebrate in Jim Crockett's Victory Garden?
#podcast #tv #retrotv #seventies #tvguide #tvguidegame
Wednesday, July 6, 2022
Tuesday, July 5, 2022
High School USA--Just how old were these folks, anyway?
Dawn Wells: 44